Horsforth Children’s Services

Help to make a brighter future

Parent Support

Parent Support

Horsforth Children’s Services have a team of family support workers which includes Amy Shaffrey, Julia Mitchinson and Lucy Canter. Our family support workers work with parents both individually and in groups looking at parenting skills, confidence building and personal development they provide a solution focussed, early intervention service offering parental advice, strategies, signposting and additional support for families.

Parenting Programs

Horsforth Children’s Services deliver a range of different Parenting Courses.

Please check out our booklet below which gives an overview of all the courses.

Parenting Booklet 20172018

We run different courses each term so to find out which courses will be starting soon, to register your interest or for any more information please contact us direct on info @ hors​forthchil​drensser​vices​.co​.uk or call the office on 0113 336 7724.


Horsforth Children’s Services believe in inclusion and equal opportunities for all children and young people regardless of their special educational needs, in order that they are able to realise and achieve their full potential.

For more information on the local SEND offer please contact:

Leeds SEND Information Advice Support Service - Offers information and advice to parents and carers of children with individual educational needs.


0113 395 1200

SEND: guide for parents and carers — Publications — GOV​.UK


Useful websites:

www​.the​mar​ket​placeleeds​.org​.uk - The marketplace offers a range of services including one to one support, counselling, group-​work andour drop-​in. All of these services are delivered by our Youth Work Service and Counselling Service and are free and confidential and available for 1125 year olds in Leeds.

www​.child​line​.org​.uk — Offer support, advice either online or on the phone anytime.

www​.thinku​know​.co​.uk — Thinkuknow is the education programme from CEOP (Child explotation and online protection) A UK organisation which protects children both online and offline.

www​.mind​mate​.org​.uk- Children of all ages can need emotional support this website provides information, advice and support for children and young people, parents and professionals.

www​.gin​ger​bread​.org​.uk — A UK charity providing expert advice, practical support and campaigns for single parents


www​.fam​i​lylives​.org​.uk& Parentline Plus: Helpline 0808 800 2222 – Informative website offering support with regard to all areas of parenting

www​.leeds​mind​.org​.uk — Information about services for Leeds people experiencing mental health problems, campaigns, and projects.


www​.barnar​dos​.org​.uk/​w​i​l​l​o​w — a charity working with children and young people who care for another member of their family

Cluster School Therapist




Why might I be offered counselling?

Counselling is a private space and time where you can talk about what is going on for you or about anything that is worrying you. A counsellor is someone who will listen to you; they will not judge you or tell you what to do. It’s your time and space to be with someone who is there for you.

How can I see a counsellor?

You or your parent/​carer can ask a teacher or staff member to refer you for counselling. There may be a wait to see the counsellor, but you should be told how long you might have to wait.

How many sessions will I have?

If it is decided counselling is the right support for you and you would like to have the sessions you will be offered 6 sessions initially. Usually your sessions will take place on a weekly basis at a time arranged between you and your counsellor. The counselling sessions will usually take place at your school in a suitable, private room.


Your parents/​carers will normally know that you are attending counselling, unless you are old enough for them not to know. Some staff at your school and at Horsforth Children’s Services will know you attend counselling. Neither staff nor your parents/​carers will be told about what you talk about in your sessions. What you talk about is confidential and is normally private between you and the counsellor. But if the counsellor is concerned about your safety or the safety of another person they may then need to talk to someone else. The counsellor will try to talk with you about this first whenever possible.

What information do we keep about you?

We keep records about why you were referred to counselling and any forms you might have completed during counselling. We also write a brief report at the end of counselling summarising how many sessions were attended. Some information that you give us is used to show whether the service can make improvements and may be shared with others. No information that could reveal your identity is used in these reports.

Your counsellor will ask you if you want to keep any art work or written pieces of work that you may have done during your counselling; if you choose not to keep them your counsellor will dispose of these pieces of work safely and securely for you.

How do you keep my information safe?

Your records are kept safely and securely within Horsforth Children’s Services office. Only staff involved in supporting you and your family will have access to these records.

What do I do if I have questions or concerns?

It is important that you are happy with the arrangements we have made for your counselling, so please feel comfortable contacting an appropriate person if not. You can talk to a member of staff at your school or at Horsforth Children’s Services.

How else can I get support?

You can visit the MindMate website (www​.mind​-mate​.org​.uk) where there are lots of resources and advice for young people. The Market Place can also offer support for young people aged 1323 years, for more information about their services you can visit their website (www​.the​mar​ket​placeleeds​.org​.uk) or call 0113 246 1659




Why would my young person see a counsellor?

Children and young people grow and change fast. It’s normal for children and young people to experience strong emotions or to behave in ways which can be challenging, particularly as they approach adulthood. It’s part of growing up. Sometimes, though, children and young people may need some extra help. Research suggests that one in four young people will need some additional help at some point during childhood, because their feelings and behaviour are affecting their development and wellbeing. We’re all different, and how we cope with difficulties depends on our personality, our circumstances, and experience. Some children and young people find it harder to deal with common anxieties and worries, including those arising from normal school pressures.

When will my young person see a counsellor?

There is a waiting list to see the School’s counsellor. In most cases, once it has been agreed that your young person would like to have counselling and it is appropriate, their name will be added to the waiting list. Horsforth Children’s Services will keep you informed of the likely waiting time and will contact you as your young person comes towards the top of the list.

Occasionally, a young person may ask to see the counsellor without their parent/​carer being informed. In cases such as these, the school and Horsforth Children’s Services would use the Gillick competency guidelines to determine whether a parent/​carer should be informed.

What should I do in an emergency?

Very rarely a child or young person may need to be seen more quickly than usual because of worries about their immediate safety. This could include situations where a young person may have attempted suicide or be at high risk of suicide, they may have seriously self-​harmed or be experiencing psychosis. If you are worried about the safety of a young person, you should take them to their local GP or A&E department straight away where their condition can be assessed.

How else can I get support for my young person?

As well as information for young people, the MindMate website (www​.mind​-mate​.org​.uk) has information for parents/​carers on how to support your young person/​yourself.

What other support is available to me and my family?

Horsforth Children’s Services has a team of professionals who offer a wide range of targeted and universal support services to all our 019 year olds and their parents/​carers within the Horsforth Cluster. We offer drop-​in sessions for parents and carers as well as family support, parenting courses and holiday/​after school activities. For more information, please call Horsforth Children’s Services on 0113 3367724.

Horsforth Children’s Services is based at the Brownlee Stone Centre, Town Street, Horsforth, Leeds, LS18 5BL.

Tel: 0113 3367724

Horsforth Children’s Services commissions Northpoint Wellbeing (registered charity no. 1057908) to provide counselling in all the Horsforth Schools.

PAC’s/Adult Learning

PACs– Drop in on the spot advice sessions for parents/​carers who have any worries or concerns about their child/​young person.

Our Family Support team work within a team of professionals offering on the spot advice for parents/​carers who have any concerns about their child/​young person. This is a drop in service held at the Brownlee Stone Centre in Horsforth on a variety of days/​times. Please check out the dates for 2019 below! For more information please give us a call on 0113 336 7724

Adult Education

Volunteering Course for Adults

In partnership with family learning we run volunteering courses for adults, if this is something that interests you please get in touch!

Volunteering 2018


Horsforth Children’s Services delivers a variety of workshops in partnership with schools in the cluster. Our family support workers are currently delivering sessions within your childs school specifically for parents and carers of year 6 children, focussing on how you can support your child’s emotional wellbeing both in the lead up to and during the sats period.

Please check out the links below for information that was shared during the sessions:

The parent’s guide to coping with sats:


Top tips for feeling good-​12 years and under:


Three good things: